Thursday, May 17, 2012

The road to retirement

Today I start a journey to financial freedom at 45.  I did not start this journey literally today, but I have decided that I will journal my thoughts, prognostications, theories and other miscellaneous financial missives as of today.

I will say that 45 was not my original retirement goal, but a decision between my wife and myself to start a family changed the calculations I slaved over.  Obviously we now have to make allowances to family spending now, so I am hopeful that 45 will be doable.

I should make it clear my definition of retirement.  I consider it the ability to leave my current place of work and to spend my time as I see fit.  I want to be able to see my children grow up and have more actual day to day input in their lives.  That does not mean I will not work ever again, but I may find something to do that I find more of a pleasure or hobby that can generate some income.

Now I will go into my a brief description of my plan.  I call it a passive dividend strategy.  For a few years now I have been changing my investing strategy to a primarily dividend stock approach to generate income for the future.

I will get into more detail and analysis about my journey to financial freedom as this blog progresses.  Please join me if you wish.

Cheers,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment